Ritchie Bros. Reports Record Bidder Numbers for First Online Auction in Mexico
JUL 9, 2020 - 8:00 am
Ritchie Bros. conducted its first-ever online-only auction in Mexico at its site in Polotitlán last week. Traditionally the site sees more than 80% of its bidders participating in person. The July 2 auction attracted a record of more than 1,200 bidders from 44 countries, which was a 17% increase from the same auction last year.
“We increased our marketing, conducted a massive call campaign and held special how-to-bid online seminars to help our customers feel more comfortable bidding online,” Richard Aldersley, sales director at Ritchie Bros, said. “In just a few short weeks, we were able to shift our entire buying audience online and set a new bidder record, which helped us achieve strong returns for our consignors.”
More than 850 equipment items and trucks were sold in the auction, including a 2006 Grove RT890E 90-ton rough terrain crane that sold for $90,000, a 2012 Volvo PF6110 crawler asphalt paver that sold for $71,000 and a 2015 Caterpillar 320DL excavator that also sold for $71,000.
“I want to thank the entire Ritchie Bros. team for the great support and proactiveness — this event exceeded our expectations,” Rey Gomez of Servicios de Transporte Jaguar, said. “We had a big challenge delivering 116 trucks to the auction, but with Ritchie Bros. helping with logistics and detailing our units, we were able [to] achieve our goal. Thanks again for your support.”
Approximately 93% of the equipment in the auction was sold to online buyers in Mexico, while the remaining 7% sold to buyers from countries that included Nicaragua, Canada and the Netherlands.
The company’s next online-only Mexico auction will take place in September 2020.
In the wake of COVID-19, everyone’s best laid plans were tossed into the fire. Survival mode kicked in, and the industry discovered quickly that becoming nimble was among the most crucial attributes for success. “Nimble” does not describe the state... read more
Equipment leasing and financing companies play a vital role in the U.S. economy by providing businesses of all sizes with much-needed financing options for acquisitions of equipment used in their business operations. As the COVID-19 pandemic has effectively shut down... read more